Is Your Company Visible on the Internet?
Is Your Web Site Search Engine Friendly? Here are the top ten recommendations - By Ivan Surjanovic
- First, try to think how your prospective client would look for your products, services, or company. What keywords would he / she type in the search box?
- Than, type in your keywords (e.g. "golf club") in Google, Altavista and/or Yahoo! and check if your site appears on the first page. Compare your web site with your competition. How does your competition rank? You also may want to check your / their traffic rank on http://www.alexa.com.
- What web sites appear at the very top of the list? Is there anything you can learn from them? (if not, keep reading).
- If your company / project is brand new and you still need to decide on the domain name: consider using your keywords as integral part of the domain name (e.g. "www.mygolfclub.com").
- Ensure that every page on your web site has proper title tags (title appearing at the very top of the screen). Use your keywords (e.g. "golf", "indoor golf", "golf clubs") in your title tags in HTML code.
- Include the same keywords in your HTML code in the following sections: Meta Tags and Description Tags.
- At the beginning of each page, have a title that again includes your most important keywords.
- The first paragraph on your page should also include the same keywords, whenever possible.
- Exchange links with some of the leading / most relevant web sites in your industry. The more links you have the more relevant traffic you will get and the better your search engine rank will be.
- Once you are done, make sure to register your web site with Google, Dmoz, Yahoo, AOL, Lycos, Excite, Altavista. (Go to those web sites and look for "Add Site", "Submit Your Site", or "Add URL" button).
Allow some time: app. 2-6 weeks. Then check your status and repeat the process if needed. When checking, you may want to use diagnostic tools such as http://www.rocketrank.com.